Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Grandma's Colander


I took my Grandma's colander from the top of a garage sale box as we left my Aunt's house. Out of the many colanders and strainers it was the only one that she decided she could possibly part with....I'm not convinced at the time of a sale she might have changed her mind about that. So I took it. Both because it was something that belonged to my Grandma and I have very little that was hers, and because it would be one less thing that could find its way back into the piles of stuff that will no doubt be accumulating in the new house.

Last night I used the colander to rinse some veg and then to drain the noodles. I thought fondly of my Grandmother who truth be told wasn't a great cook and I never actually remember her using the colander. But I did remember something last night. Aluminum is a great conductor of heat. One would be wise to use this particular colander only for rinsing fruit and veg. Because picking it up after straining hot water and noodles is a terrible mistake. Good that I already own a plastic colander or I might feel the need to buy another. That would not be a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment